Thursday, September 2, 2010

Powder Room Makeover

My bathroom makeover began after seeing pictures of faux board and batten on http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-install-board-and-batten.html and http://www.decorchick.com/paint/multipurpose-room-progress-board-and-batten/.

Now mind you there are many makeovers I would love to do to my home but just haven't gotten around to doing them, but for whatever reason this one I had to do immediately.

I headed to Home Depot and had all my lattice strips cut to 54" and my casing cut to a straight 65". I figured I would do the miter cutting at home.

The first thing I did was decide how far apart I wanted the lattice strips. 14" was going to work perfectly, I would miss the outlets and the pipes to the sink and toliet.

To make things go faster I cut an extra lattice strip 14" to use as a spacer. I made sure the lattice strips were straight using my level and then attached them with liquid nails and finishing nails.

Now came the harder part. I had to miter cut the casing. After trial and error and two trips to Home Depot, the casing joints were cut and fit just right. Little secret here, I used my dremel to cope out the back. Why didn't I use a coping saw you ask, I did in the beginning and decided it was too hard to use and I didn't care for the fit.

I then chalked the joints of the casing and the edges of all my lattice strips, and filled in all the counter sunk nails with white wood fill.

Now I was ready to paint. I used Polar Bear by Behr on the board and batten treatment and Grey Owl by BM on the top.

I replaced the builder mirror with a mirror from Kirkland's that I painted with the same white paint I used for the walls.

Only thing left to do is to find the perfect light fixture and I think I have.

Linking to

my romantic home


funkyjunkinteriors

2 comments:

  1. Love your new bathroom look. You did a fantastic job. Welcome to blogging.
    Hugs~ Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I am hosting a 50 dollar CSN Giveaway on my blog. I would love for you to stop by.Thanks Anu!

    ReplyDelete